What is self-care? It is any necessary human regulatory function which is under individual control, deliberate and most importantly self-initiated.
A self-care plan can help you improve your health and your wellbeing, it also helps manage your stress, and maintain professionalism as a worker. To do so, you must learn to identify activities and practices that will support your wellbeing as a person and should help you to sustain positive self-care in the long run.
These are activities that will help you to work consistently at the professional level.
- engage in regular supervision or consulting with a more experienced co-worker
- create a peer-support group
- read professional journals and articles
- attend professional development seminars.
These are activities that help you to stay fit with enough energy to get through your work and personal commitments.
- develop a regular sleep routine
- eat healthy
- do not skip lunch breaks
- go for a walk at lunchtime
- take your dog for a walk after work
- use your sick leave
- get some exercise before or after work
These are activities that will help you to feel clear-headed and you are able to engage intellectually with the challenges that are found in your job and personal life.
- have and keep a reflective journal
- engage with a persoanl and not work-related hobby
- turn off your email and phone outside of work
- engage with positive friends and family